Monday, January 20, 2014

From concept to reality in 6 weeks - final meeting prep

In preparing for the final iteration meeting with the customer, I took a few screenshots and created a Keynote presentation. Pretty simple stuff, just time consuming to make sure I have everything covered. At the client site I do not have an internet connection so I want to make sure I have it all covered.

On Friday, I saw a problem in trying to create the app as an installable package as I never received the email confirmation code. I found that odd since it has been working all along. The only thing I can think of is that somehow my license expired. I paid for the developer license so I have no real logical explanation. I need to have an installable image ready to go before the meeting either stored on my machine or on a thumb drive to give to the customer.

I search Ms. Google to find out why my two-step confirmation code never arrives. I found a Microsoft document explaining how to set this up as I definitely could not remember doing that. I went to Safari and logged into my live.com account. I went thru the steps to enable the two-step verification under my live account. I clicked on the icon in the upper hand corner for the Outlook web app. Then I clicked on "Security info" on the left hand side. I added my phone number as I need a fallback when my email does not work. I also added a second email account. The only odd thing about the process was installing an authenticator app on my iPhone. After doing that I had to scan the QR code on the screen to validate my iPhone. Once I had all of that setup, then when I tried to create a new package in Visual Studio, I opened the Authenticator app on my iPhone and entered the blue number on the screen. Now I should be all set from now on.

One final odd problem for the day as it is coming to a close. I cleaned and re-built the app and everything runs correctly, but when I build the Windows Store image it fails with 16 errors and those are all methods I renamed over the last two weeks. It must be stored in a file somewhere that I need to regenerate. Time to use Ms. Google again as I have not encountered these errors before. After much searching and searching and searching, I finally found the answer deeply embedded in a StackOverflow post. The only  way to fix the problem was to delete the "obj" folder and then rebuild the project solution. That is obviously to get around a VisualStudio bug as that does not make sense why VSE would cache such things when building release packages. I am just so glad I found the problem finally.

I finished the release build, made a ZIP file and now I am ready to go.

No comments: