Wednesday, January 15, 2014

From concept to reality in 6 weeks - part 36

This was not the way today was supposed to start out. I have had issues with my Mac Mail app and when I tried to send email this morning, I keep seeing the emails pile up in my Outbox. That was not supposed to be doing that for sure. I have two email accounts that I use that are tied to my HostMonster domains. After a struggle, I decided to delete the two internet accounts and just start over. I first went into HostMonster and changed the email passwords just to be safe that it was not password issues. I added both email accounts back in and they still did not work. I then went back into my HostMonster account and decided to look more closely at the settings and I had added the non-SSL accounts so once again I deleted both accounts and added them back in as SSL accounts. Then after Mail.app crashing multiple times, which I assume were due to the email account changes, I finally have my email back up and running and the emails sitting in my Outbox were all Sent. Hopefully this is not a sign for my day.

And I am going to try to restart the day by listening to "Of Monsters and Men" on Spotify since it was very nice listening to their songs while watching "The secret life of Walter Mitty" the other day. That should put me in the right frame of mind to get my tasks done early today - or at least I can hope.

My first new thing to learn about today was now to merge two list collections into a single collection. And what came to my rescue but LINQ yet again. It is THE most useful part of C# that I have encountered so far. If I think about collections in Java, ActionScript, Ruby, and Objective-C, then LINQ is definitely number one as it makes writing code so much more readable and just makes sense to me with very little training or reading documentation.

I keep forgetting that I am using a Windows machine. Today my Windows laptop was acting really strange so I remembered that I need to reboot it occasionally. I have only reboot a hand full of times in the months since I got the machine, which sounds really good, except for the fact when I rebooted today I had several updates that were waiting for a reboot to install. Last week when I reboot I have some SONY VAIO specific patches to install and since that day I have not had the problems with my display where the touch sensors stopped working after a while. I just get in the zone after using my Mac for so long that I forget about things like that. When I logged back into my laptop this time I saw a notification that I had a new Adobe Reader available also. All kinds of updates are happening - must be the full moon day coming up tonight.

Today was pretty much testing day as I wanted to make sure the live updates were working and when new data arrives every thing still works as expected. This requires loading the initial data and then waiting for the minimum live update time for updates to arrive and do stuff while the update is happening.

No comments: