Wednesday, January 10, 2007

How RubyOnRails go onto my Mac laptop

I must say that I feel like I went back in time as I watch RubyOnRails being installed on my Mac laptop. Everything was installed by looking up the public web sites and then the installers were mostly run from the command line. The first thing I needed was Xcode to get a compiler. Then DarwinPorts (or known as OpenDarwin or MacPorts) which helped us load all of ruby. Once we had ruby, then I needed ruby gems and rake (which is ruby-make). Of course where would I be without subversion for version control. To access mySQL I now have CocoaMySQL. Lastly, in order to edit ruby code I was forced to use TextMate. When I thought I was really done I was told I cannot live with QuickSilver to locate all of the programs put on my Mac today.

No comments: