Friday, January 12, 2007

email subscriptions

I am currently subscribed to 2 different email groups.

One is discuss@ixda.org, where I am currently receiving around 50 emails per day on the new Apple iPhone. Normally I receive around 10-20 a day on some hot topic as it seems like someone always has something to say. This group is for Interaction Designers.

The other is agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, where people talk about trying to integrate traditional up-front design into agile development methods. I like the term Just-In-Time-Design as it describes what takes place. I have experienced this first hand on a project I worked on for 6 months last year. It was definitely hard to get used to as I wanted to observe users and run usability tests, but instead I had to give in to the fact that the design was getting better every week and sometimes daily instead of trying to create the perfect app up front from user observations and tests. I really like the quick iterations and putting something in front of users as soon as possible. I don't like the lack of time thinking about design as it always seems like I am rushing into a decision. But the app does get better over time...

No comments: