Wednesday, November 19, 2008

what "Knopp" means to me

Some events in your life are memorable for a very long time and some you want to forget as soon as they happen. For me, the recent passing away of the patriarch of the Knopp family helped bring back so many wonderful memories. I can honestly say that my whole life would not be what it is today without knowing the Knopp family.

My life was a constant downward spiral for many years after my parents got divorced at my young ripe age of 14. When I had no where else to turn, I forced myself on a couple who attended church at the Knopp's house. At the lowest point of my life, I decided to take a chance and attend the Knopp home church. I had very long hair, which for me was definitely a sign of rebellion that I wanted to portrait to others. I had no idea what to wear to their church or whether I would be accepted with my long hair, but I was desperate enough to try and see what happened. I mainly went because I had just finished reading a book by Haralan Popov and he was speaking at the church that day. The primary reason Popov appealed to me was I had recently read The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski and was fascinated with how communism destroyed people. It is interesting how events just seem ordained to happen sometimes. It felt pretty strange attending a church in someone's home and even more odd that I did not know them at all, but desperate times lead to desperate measures. That very afternoon I decided that the way I was running my life was not working out very good for me and that I needed divine intervention. I really had nothing to loose as I was pretty miserable, so I was willing to take a chance. It is the best decision I have ever made and it changed my life forever. For me it was a miracle.

For that entire summer I attended church either at the Knopp's or with my mother. I quickly felt like the Knopps were a family I had always wanted to have but never had. I remember eating lunch at the Knopp home on several Sundays and observing the family interactions. People were always more important than possessions or time. It seemed like I could stay as long as I needed to - just like a home. Before I left to go at VaTech I had a bond that is hard for me to put into words with my adopted Knopp family. To be accepted for who you are instead of what comes out of your mouth or what you look like is such a great thing. I had no reason to be loved by this family as I had nothing useful to offer them. Sounds like the definition of true love to me. After completing my first full year at VaTech, I wanted to actually do something with my life to help others instead of how I had lived my first 20 years only for myself. The Knopps helped support me the whole two years I was in India, which is yet another reason I am eternally grateful.

When I returned from India, I had no idea where I would stay upon returning to VaTech. Yet again the Knopps came to my rescue. At VaTech, I roomed with two of the Knopp sons where we shared an apartment together. I could not have asked for better roommates as we had a great time together. We had a common hobby in playing basketball and we spent many fun hours every week enjoying ourselves and getting exercise. I met my wife to-be early in that school year and when we secretly got married in February, my perfect roommates graciously allowed us to live with them temporarily. They also helped force us to find our own place to live, which was the best advice they could have given us.

The best memory I have of Papa Knopp was on a visit to their home after we got married. Over lunch I asked Papa what his secret was to raising such great children as I needed advice before we had our own kids. He looked at me and said it was the only the grace of GOD. At the time I was really disappointed as I wanted "the" secret. After having five children and two of them already gone from our house, I fully understand what he meant. Some people who seem to have it all together have all kinds of problems with their kids. Other who have terrible families, somehow the kids rise above the horrible conditions and make something out of their lives for the good of others.

The second best memory I have of Papa Knopp was told by his sons, my college roommates. When I asked them what they thought made him a great father, they told me of a time when Papa lost his temper as the nine sons were getting a bit wild on a long road trip. He pulled over the car and apologized to them all immediately afterwards. Just two weeks ago when I talked to Papa Knopp one final time, he told me that so many good things had happened in his home but he could only attribute it to him being a willing servant and nothing more.

The most lasting impression I have of the Knopp family is how every time I visit their home I feel more encouraged upon leaving than when I arrived. Some people become old and crusty with age, but Mama and Papa just seemed to get better over time. I have to attribute it to their positive attitude of finding the good things that GOD has done for us. If only I could do the same.

Tribute to Papa Knopp: http://sites.google.com/site/papaknopp/

No comments: