Friday, February 8, 2008

teeth - are they straight enough?

Time to take a digression back into the moment and talk about teeth. This was a big week in the life of our youngest son as he finally was fitted for orthodontia (or braces as it is more affectionately called). Our insurance covered a little under half of it, but still the sticker shock was a bit overwhelming. I remember the days when I heard people getting braces for $2000. Well those days are long gone for good. I have perfect teeth and I am often asked if I had braces when I was younger. Some of my genes may be bad, but the teeth genes are the best and strongest. My daughter is up next for this exciting event, but at least the dentist takes monthly payments to cover the cost. I have heard from upper class co-workers that the latest trend is to get braces for your kids even if they don't need it - kind of like a prestige thing. Now that is America at it's worse.

The other big news of the day is that I was invited to attend the a company wide videocast of our CEO talking about us making over $2 billion last year. Now that would cover a lot of braces! I was not anyone special, I was picked at random from the general population. There was fewer than 120 people present and most of them were executives, so the number of worker bees were definitely a minority. It would have been exciting to see gifts given to those in attendence like on the Oprah Show, but no such thing happened today.

Lastly, our oldest son rode home with me today and I found out that he has a job at Walgreens pharmacy as a photo technician. He enjoys himself after retiring from the restaurant business, which he did not enjoy. At least today all is well.

No comments: