Sunday, July 20, 2008

car keys

One last post for today as some strange things happen to me this week. I am car pooling almost every day I go to work. It is over 20 miles from our house to work. I typically have to drive in my car only one day a week, so it is so worth it for me. This week I had car trouble again. This time my car was over heating as I left it running too long in the hot weather. The black electrical tape I put on the key was so hot it melted off the key. When I got home I had a great idea to use some of the extra metallic tape I used on our shed to seal the attic vents. It is extra sticky, extra strong and just right for the job or so I thought. When I got ready for work on Monday, I could not start my car. I have a friend who is a mechanic so I called him. He towed the car to his shop and found the fuel pump had gone bad. It seems like I cannot have anything repaired on our cars these days for under $300. At least I am helping a friend feed his family! Late Monday I called him and he said that the electrical system had reset on my car and that only a dealer could fix it. I had my wife take my spare key to him on Tuesday morning after dropping me off at my car pool meeting location. Later I called him and he said the car started with my spare key! Turns out that with these new fancy electrical car keys, you cannot cover up the plastic part of the key, especially with metallic tape. Problem solved and now my car is running as it should.

No comments: