Sunday, April 15, 2007

walled offices vs. cubicles

I moved into my walled office this week, so I have to comments on comparing working in a walled office versus cubicles. Having worked in cubicles for 8 years out of a total of 23 years of my working life, I am speaking from experience.

As an aside, I read an article by Joel Spolsky once of what he thought about this topic. I see he is still writing about this topic as they are considering moving to a larger space. I am in no way as creative in my thinking as Joel, but then again he runs a company and wants the best for his employees, which is a great thing.

For me, there are both pluses and minuses about either walled offices or cubicles. At the moment I cannot decide which I like better.

















  Good Bad
Walled Offices

  • Privacy when you need it to make a personal phone call

  • Can listen to music without headphones

  • Can put up posters and paintings on the wall

  • Personal white board to sketch designs and to-do notes

  • Wife and kids can come and I don't feel about being loud




  • Harder to have interaction with team members

  • Must work at communication to learn what others are working on

  • Others may need your help, but must walk to see you for help


Cubicles

  • When surrounded by team members, easier to know what everyone is working on

  • Perfect for Extreme Programming, if no walls are present

  • Easy to help others when they get stuck and need help

  • Fosters team environment in getting to know team members




  • Everyone hears personal conversations or phone calls

  • When loud talkative people around, can be very distracting

  • Little room for personal items, unless they are small

  • Hard to pair in small cubicles and show someone your screen

  • Suffer through gopher syndrome : people popping up out of chair and talking across cubicles


No comments: